3/6/10

Whites Tree Frog


One of my two Whites Tree Frogs

I started working at a pet store and this is the first of a number of pets I adopted due to different reasons why they couldn't be sold and were destined to who knows where. Finding ways to feed these guys an all they can eat buffet and share with other herp lovers my experiences was the first inspiration for starting this blog.
 It's actually not easy taking care of frogs, lizards, and snakes as they have very specific requirements, like food, heat, water, temps, continuous tank cleanings, handling rules. It can be complex and very time-consuming. If you decide to get a pet like this be prepared to do the work because there is a lot of it.
The live bugs and worms they need to survive are so expensive to buy so breeding them is economical, educational and enjoyable. I am actually a bug phobic person ( or used to be ) One of my biggest fears in life were worms. It was pretty serious. Exposure therapy really works! Being forced to pick them up every day with my bare hands to take care of what I love has taught me an amazing lesson. I am now not afraid of insects or worms at all, in fact, I find them beautiful and amazing in all their different stages of life.

2017 - I no longer keep tanked pets just cats now. I have learned a lot about pets and I think I prefer them to stay in the wild especially the lizards they belong in nature where it is big and beautiful and full of life and activity for them.  5-10 years is a long time to see a creature live in a tank.